Sunday, May 13, 2012

6 Pack Cinema Awards vol I ..chapter 2


For the week of May 6th - 12th 12 films were watched but I didn't keep a beer count. Of the 12 6 will be nominated for the best movie of the week.

The first nomination is a movie that was not allowed in my house growing up because of its frank depiction of teenage sex & drug use. Im sure my mother thought after viewing it I was going to be on a quail hunt knocking up every girl up in town all the while smoking pot frying my brain like an egg. Personally I think it's a great depictions of teenage life & a fun trip back to the 80s.

From 1982 Amy Heckerling's Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Time for the first award.. The 40 – A Life of Influence Under The Influence

This award is for the anything that has floated across my television screen that has had a major influence on my life. Not just limited to film but definitely represented in the medium sense.

Last Sunday as I lay on my couch hung over from a night of completely over doing it I watched For a Few Dollars More. I fucking love that movie & it was helping nurse me back to health. When it was over I had decided that I should get back on this blog & do this award show. Because of how excellent I think For a Few Dollars More is it won't be eligible for any awards this week because truthfully it would monopolize it.

When it comes to film every body has their favourite & Im no exception. There is one movie that I hold above everything else & then just sorta think there is everything else

That movie is The Good The Bad & The Ugly

  
Our family not having a VCR yet because my mother didn't believe in them when I was 12 I went to my uncles for Thanksgiving & he had the old pan & scan 2 tape of The Good The Bad & The Ugly. As soon as the theme song by Ennio Morricone kicked in I was in love & what followed was epic in my eyes. I have no idea how many times I have seen this film since. When we finally did get a VCR I rented it endlessly. Whenever it was on TV I watched it including times when I would come home @ 3 in the morning drunk off my ass & staying up until the sun rise. Now I have it on DVD & crack it out @ least once a year. 

  
The 40 is awarded to Sergio Leone who w/ this one movie opened up the genre of Spaghetti Westerns to me & has directed some of my favourite films also including everything else in the dollar trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West & Once Upon a Time in America. He is the master of combining all the elements that I consider masterful cinema that include a fantastic cast, mesmerizing style, great story & a classic soundtrax. W/out delving into his world who knows what kind of movies I might be watching today..Michael Bay. God help me!

Still a long way to go but time for another trip out to the kitchen.
..Be back after this 


No comments:

Post a Comment