Monday, July 2, 2012

6 Pack Cinema vol VII..chapter 4


Gonna work on this 3 beer buzz in just a moment but before serving it up another nomination for Best Picture for the Week of 7.

From 1987 Barbet Schroeder's Barfly


Henry Chinaski is a poet & full time alcoholic. W/ a mind set outside the contemporaries of society he prefers to live life @ the bottom of a bottle or glass. He finds a drinking partner in fellow barfly Wanda & the two of them make an attempt to become part of the working class so they can drink in style. His writing has garnered the attention of a wealthy publisher who wants to take Chinaski from his accustom lifestyle but Henry has no dreams to be trapped in a cage w/ golden bars.

Time to top off the 1st half of this 6 Pack w/ the award for Best Soundtrax or Score – The Rolling Rock


The nominees are..

Smokey & The Bandit


Not only is Jerry Reed great as The Snowman he supplies a fantastic country/western soundtrack. The theme song East Bound & Down makes me jump into a trans-am & high tail it across country running decoy for an 18 wheeler full of bootleg liquor w/ a smokey in hot pursuit...makes me wish I was a 70s red neck.

Devil's Angels


Davie Allan & The Arrows score gives the The Devil's Angels a good late 60s driving force w/ lots of fuzzy guitar. Although I wouldn't classify The Devil's Angels as one of the best biker movies that I have seen you can't deny that the score makes it a stand out for Drive-In flix of this type.

Hot Fuzz


John Spencer's theme song to Hot Fuzz is kick ass. In fact the entire soundtrax is littered w/ greats the likes of T-Rex, Sweet, The Kinks, Adam Ant & The Troggs. Edgar Wright's film is so fast you don't always notice everyone involved but once you see the track listing you just have to go back & listen to it on its own.

Barfly


Booker T & the MG's give Barfly a sorta swagger that fits perfectly w/ Mickey Rourke's character. Some great blues included w/ the likes of Sonny Boy Williamson & Albert King, jazz w/ Jimmy Smith & John Coltrane topped off w/ classical by Mozart & Beethoven. It's a unique combination just like the film itself.

Saturday Night Fever


When Staying Alive by The Bee Gees kicks in I want to strut like Im the cock of the walk. It is the mecca of disco often imitated but never duplicated. It's land mark for what it did for music & culture (or better or worse) in the late 70s. I would classify it in the top 3 most influence soundtrax ever made.

Death Rides A Horse


Ennio Morricone always adds something special when he composes music for film. Personally I find spaghetti westerns to be his forte. His work on Death Rides A Horse is one of my favorite. So fucking awesome Quentin Tarantino couldn't keep his hands off it for Kill Bill & Inglorious Basterds.


And the winner is..

Saturday Night Fever

Coming up w/ a true winner this week was really hard because I like all of them just for different reasons. A lot of them hold a special place in my heart but I can't deny the power that Saturday Night Fever had on me as a kid. I still have my parents vinyl (I wish I had the 8-track). The album ruled the turn table & radio like there was no tomorrow back in the day. I remember dancing like John Travolta w/ my mom in the kitchen & doing 'the bump' w/ her. I was so little after awhile her hips would knock me to the floor.

..Plus it spawned one of my favorite albums @ the time.


Still the 2nd half of this 6 Pack to get to..hold tight because it will come.

Be back after this..


2 comments:

  1. Greetings. I’m the man of many faces (just like Mick Foley). I also see the Old Flixster (aka Community Flixster) still exists. I thought it would be gone by now, but I see it’s still on life support. I also saw that you haven’t used Flixster in a while (I was able to find out that info without logging in). Anyway, I’m still not a Flixster user. But I’m going to guess you gave up on Flixster, because hardly anyone uses it anymore.

    That said - your revamped blog looks pretty damn cool. I’ll be making sure I catch up on your posts in the next couple of days.

    The rest of this comment will probably sound like spam – but it’s not.

    WordPress seem to have some sort of scheme to get bloggers to “meet” (in the strictly online sense of the word) other bloggers. It’s for the Versatile Blogger Award – and I’m just letting you know that you’re nominated. A recent post on my blog explains the rules, if you’re interested.

    Sorry for having this comment appear here, but I wasn’t sure where else to post it, and “they” have a “rule” that I need to make a public comment about this on your blog. And goddamnit I want that award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies - I didn't realize until AFTER I posted my comment that (most of) it was spam. I also found out the award isn't an actual award. I was expecting to get something I could hang on my wall, or something like that. Oh well. It was a good excuse to reconnect with some friends/associates.

    ReplyDelete