Saturday, June 23, 2012

6 Pack Cinema vol VI..chapter 3


Still cracking into this 6 Pack for the week of L & plenty to go. Get to the next award in a moment but before that the next nomination for the big Blue Ribbon for Best Picture of the Week.

From 1973 Hal Ashby's The Last Detail


After stealing 40 dollars from a charity cash box Meadows is heads up the river for 8 years & 2 navy men are ordered to bring him to the cling in Portsmouth. Meadows is just a young buck & hasn't done any actually living so navy man 'Badass' Buddusky decides that he should be shown some life that he missed out on by giving him one last good time that includes drinking, whoring & ice skating.

Time to serve up the 2nd golden amber of this week's 6 Pack. For the person or thing in media that has had a profound impact on me over the years / The Life of Influence Under the Influence – The 40


This week's 40 goes to Grindhouse's favorite scumbag David Hess.


I was originally introduced to Hess in my early teens when I had seen the notorious Last House on the Left. I fucking hated Last House for years & didn't give Hess much thought until my taste in film watching sorta switched when I became bored w/ what mainstream cinema was churning out & I started to watch more older films especially Grindhouse & Drive-In. I figured it was about time that I watched Last House again & although I didn't overtly become a fan of it Hess struck a cord w/ me. From there I stumbled across House on the Edge of the Park that was on a Brentwood video compilation & I was sold on him. I began seeking his stuff & Hitch-Hike soon followed which I fucking fell in love w/ & is my favorite of the lot. Sadly outside of these 3 film he's not really given a chance to shine; not in the same light anyways. He does show up in Wes Craven's Swap Thing & is the best part but nothing else I have seen really stands out other then Im just happy to see him when he's given screen time. I even try to seek out his television work on shows like Knight Rider, The Fall Guy, Baretta & Manimal. I do actually remember seeing his face on The A-Team when I was a kid.


Although I meant to I didn't watch Last House on the Left during this week of L. I have seen it about 5 times now over the years & although I find Craven a bit sloppy w/ it it has grown on me immensely. The last time I did take it in was when Hess died back in October. When I heard that he had passed away I was a little numb. It's strange the way seeing certain people in film when it's their time to go effects you. It's sorta like that uncle that you really liked but only see on occasion dies. There aren't tears but you do feel like something has been taken from you.

Last weekend I signed up for blogtalkradio & my first show was of Hess music. Although I suck as an actual DJ & this was my first go on this form you should check-it out.


Still a lot more to go but I need to take another trip to the fridge for a cold one as this heat is kicking my ass.

Be back after this..


 

No comments:

Post a Comment