Wednesday, June 13, 2012

6 Pack Cinema vol V..chapter 4


Gonna cap off the 1st half of this 6 pack in a moment & work on that 3 beer buzz but before getting to more of the delicious golden amber here's the next nomination for Best Picture for the Week of Color.

From 1998 Jason Freeland's Brown's Requiem



Disgraced ex-cop & recovering alcoholic Fritz Brown sometimes works as a repo man because his private detective business doesn't always pay the bill. That all changes for Fritz when he is hired by an overweight dirty but financially well off caddy to tail his sister who is shacked up w/ an elderly bag man for the mob. The investigation become complicated as the corruption leads to the head of the LAPD internal affair (the man who kicked Fritz off the force). His client soon turns up dead but Fritz can't let go because now it has become a personal vendetta. He couldn't walk away if he wanted to because now he's a marked man for what he knows & the evidence in his possession.

Time for the next award of the week given to the film w/ the best soundtrax or score – The Rolling Rock



The nominees are..


Blue Collar


Blue Collar's soundtrax reeks of the sweat of the hard working/ hard drinking everyman who just can't get ahead. Driven by Jack Nitzsche & including Captain Beefheart, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ike & Tina Turner & Howlin Wolf it has the blues @ it's heart & the soul of Detroit 70s working class dogs.

Red Rock West


Although Im not overtly a fan of more modern country music that is feature in Red Rock West like Toby Keith, Dwight Yoakam, Kentucky Headhunter & Shania Twain the couple of songs by Johnny Cash are more then enough for this to hit the list.

Black Gunn


Tony Osborne's score may be the best thing about Black Gunn. That's just not saying it's a bad film just sorta middle of the road for the genre which could have been better w/ Jim Brown in it. Always a fan of blaxploitation scores Osborne's kept me more interested then the film itself.

Purple Rain


You can't be an 80s fan & not get behind this soundtrax. Prince is in top form w/ possibly the best record of his career (even though I might argue that w/ 1999). This album dominated top 40 radio when it was released in 84. He's not alone w/ the smokin gun as The Time also have some fantastic songs from Ice Cream Castles featured here...Damn even Sex Shooter by Apollonia 6 is hot.

Black Caesar


James Brown drives the urban feel of Black Caesar. Full of soul, anger & funk. Quite possibly one of the 3 best blaxploitation soundtracks & perhaps a personal top 10 favourite score for films from the 70s. I can't stop listening to it since I watched this movie again. Fan-funking-tastic!

The Red Queen Kills 7 Times


Sometimes the key element to giallos is the music that determines my enjoyment. Although not high on the scales of the genre The Red Queen Kills 7 Times has a great score by Bruno Nicolai. In fact it almost blinds you from some of the weakness of the film itself. I had seen this about 8 months ago I thought highly of it & cracked it out again not nearly enjoying it as much. Then I realized what really stuck w/ me was the score.


And the winner is...

Purple Rain


This soundtrack was a staple of my preteen years. I owned the vinyl, I had The Time Ice Cream Castles on cassette & then I went out & bought all the 45s so I could have the B-sides. I used to tape Friday Night Video so I could see the videos. This movie was the first thing I ever owned hard copy original on VHS. I was fucking Prince obsessed. You know many claim that Michael Jackson was the king @ the time but to me Prince blew him the fuck out of the water. He was my sexual awaking through music. Thanks to this entire musical project my cracking innocence was shattered...and for that I am truly thankful.

Half way there but still plenty to serve up.

Be back after this..


 

No comments:

Post a Comment